The 4-6-0-wheel arrangement had its origins in the United States, and its introduction to Britain was the work of the Highland Railway’s locomotive superintendent David Jones. The loco was built by Sharp, Stewart & Co in 1894 at their Atlas Works in Springburn, one of a batch of fifteen designed by David Jones that came to be called ‘The Jones Goods’. Highland locos faced more gruelling conditions than most, hauling heavy goods trains across rugged countryside in the north of Scotland. Jones designed engines with large cylinders and a high boiler pressure, and they were the most powerful locos in Britain when they were introduced. They were also the first trains to have the 4-6-0-wheel arrangement. When the ‘Jones Goods’ first appeared they were felt to be somewhat daring as they were such an advance on anything that Jones or the Highland Railway had previously built. This locomotive is ion permanent show at the Glasgow Museum of Transport, Riverside Museum, Pointhouse Quay on the Clyde in Glasgow Harbour.