The first of James Holden’s T19 class express passenger 2-4-0s appeared in November 1886. At first sight they might be taken for a development of Worsdell’s G14 class, but apart from having the same vital statistics of 18 x 24-in. cylinder, 7-ft. 0-ins. diameter driving wheels and 140 lbs. psi boiler pressure they differed significantly. The boiler was the same as that used on the Y14 0-6-0s – slightly shorter in the barrel, but larger in diameter. The motion was Stephenson’s, and the valves were placed beneath the cylinders. Although this arrangement had been tried early in British locomotive development, it had been revived by William Stroudley on the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway. Holden’s old boss William Dean on the GWR and William Adams – now on the London & South Western – also tried this arrangement at around the same time. However, Holden the only one to use this arrangement of cylinders and valves extensively, and ultimately the GER came to have the largest number of locomotives of this type in Britain. The radial axle was replaced by a double framed arrangement in which there were no collars on the inner axle journals, and the outside axle boxes were allowed an inch of uncontrolled side-play in the horn-guides. The photograph shows No. 738, representing the first fifty engines built, Nos. 710-759. (per the Great Eastern Railway Society). [Engraving by C. Trent for The Railway Engineer].