The GER T26 was a class of 2-4-0 steam tender locomotives built at Stratford and designed by James Holden for the Great Eastern Railway. In 1923 they passed to the London and North Eastern Railway, who classified them E4. Eighteen survived into British Railways ownership in 1948. The last was withdrawn in 1959, making them the last 2-4-0s at work in Britain. Derived from the GER Class T19 but with much smaller 5 ft 8 in (1.727 m) driving wheels and intended for mixed traffic work, ninety T26s were built between 1891 and 1896. From 1898 some locos were rebuilt with 160 psi (1,103 kPa) pressure boilers thus when an additional ten T26s (numbers 1250 – 1259) were built in 1902 these were fitted with the new boilers as standard. The GER used air brakes but, when introduced, more than half the T26 locomotives were also fitted with vacuum brake ejectors for operating over other railway companies’ lines. T26s were associated with the movement of horses by rail to and from Newmarket Racecourse, and thus travelled widely. T26’s were often used on passenger trains to the Norfolk Coast, particularly Wells and Cromer. On loan from the National Railway Museum to Bressingham Steam Centre, Norfolk, UK.