The 43rd were raised in 1741 as the 54th, becoming the 43rd in 1748. In 1804 they became part of Sir John Moore’s Light Brigade at Shorncliffe with the 52nd (raised in 1755) and the 95th (later the Rifle Brigade). These three were the nucleus of the Light Division which served through the Peninsular and at Waterloo. It and was one of the best divisions ever produced by the British army. In 1881 they merged into the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry (aka the Ox and Bucks), then the Green Jackets, now part of The Rifles. A field officer of the 43rd in undress uniform. As a field officer he would be mounted, and his sword is therefore in slings at the end of the sword belt, and not in a frog. Shortly after this, field officers were authorised to wear waist-belts with slings instead of shoulder-belts. The shako has sprouted green cock-feathers and green cap-lines fastened to one of the coat buttons. The privates had no cap lines and wore drooping horse-hair plumes. The crimson sash ends in cords and tassels-the light infantry style-instead of a fringe. He wears epaulettes over the wings. The wings were worn by all light infantrymen, and the wearing of two epaulettes was the mark of a field officer So field officers of light infantry wore both. In 1829 it was decided that they should wear epaulettes only. Several regiments wore silver lace instead of gold, but from 1830 all regular regiments wore gold.
Source: Portrait of Major Henry Booth in possession of the family.