The Caledonian Railway Locomotive Works were originally at Greenock but moved to St. Rollox, Glasgow, Scotland in 1856. Caledonian Railway 4-4-0, No. 128 (1877) was designed by George Brittain (1821, Chester – 1882) an English railway engineer, who was Locomotive Superintendent of the Caledonian Railway from 1876 to 1882 (between Benjamin Connor and Dugald Drummond). Until the appointment of Dugald Drummond, unlike most other British railways, almost all engines had outside cylinders, and the 0-6-0 arrangement was quite rare, goods engines being of type 2-4-0 or 0-4-2. Passenger engines were normally 2-2-2. Previously Brittain had been locomotive superintendent of the Dundee, Perth and Aberdeen Junction Railway (1859–63) and assistant to Alexander Allan on the Scottish Central Railway (1863–65). Outdoor superintendent, Caledonian Railway (1865–76) and assistant/deputy to the incumbent and ailing Conner. In common with many of his professional contemporaries he described himself as a civil engineer in 1861 and 1871 but as a mechanical engineer (locomotive superintendent) in 1881. The locomotive was built by Neilson of Glasgow which was started in 1836 at McAlpine Street by Walter Neilson and James Mitchell to manufacture marine and stationary engines. In 1837 the firm moved to Hyde Park Street and was known as Kerr, Mitchell and Neilson and, in 1840, Kerr, Neilson and Company, becoming Neilson and Mitchell in 1843.