Built by the company that later became Minneapolis Moline, one of the pre-eminent names in American tractor manufacture, its twin cylinder, horizontally opposed engine is one of the earlier versions. Founded in 1865, the Moline Company specialized in ploughs, but by the early 20th Century had expanded to cultivators, discs, planters and other towed implements. In 1913, it tested a tractor design built for them by IHC. This proved unsatisfactory, so in November 1915 Moline bought the rights to Universal Tractor Company’s motor cultivator. The initial 2-cylinder Universal model was replaced by one larger built by Moline, along with special implements for use with the tractor. The Universal was redesigned for 1917 with a four-cylinder Root & Van Dervoort engine. Standard equipment included an electric governor, starter and lights, all firsts in the tractor industry. The 3 1/2″x5″ engine developed 27.45 belt and 17.4 drawbar horsepower at Nebraska. The machine cost $1,325 in 1920, and weighed 3,380 pounds, including the concrete ballast inside the drive wheels. This was added to lower the tractor’s centre of gravity, since the machine was notorious for upsets due to the placement off centre of the engine and high centre of gravity for its wheel width. Another drawback was the difficulty in backing up: the hinge point between tractor and implement tended to buckle upward when the heavy front started pushing a lighter implement to the rear.