The first Metropolitan Railway locomotives were ordered in 1864, to replace the Great Western Railway locomotive that had opened their first line the previous year. Concern about smoke and steam in tunnels led to new designs. Before the line opened in 1861 trials were made with the “hot brick” locomotive nicknamed Fowler’s Ghost. This was unsuccessful, and the first trains were hauled by broad gauge GWR Metropolitan Class condensing 2-4-0 tank locomotives designed by Daniel Gooch. They were followed by standard gauge GNR locomotives until the Met received its own 4-4-0 tank locomotives. The locomotives were built by Beyer Peacock of Manchester. Their design is frequently attributed to the Met’s Engineer John Fowler, but the locomotive was a development of one Beyers had built for the Spanish Tudela to Bilbao Railway, Fowler only specifying the driving wheel diameter, axle weight and the ability to navigate sharp curves. Eighteen were ordered in 1864, initially carrying names, and by 1870 a total of forty had been built. To reduce smoke underground, at first coke was burnt, changed in 1869 to smokeless Welsh coal. This locomotive survives at the London Transport Museum, Acton.