James Johnson was locomotive superintendent to GNoSR, the son of Samuel W. Johnson, then locomotive superintendent at the Midland Railway. In 1893 Neilsons of Glasgow delivered six new 4-4-0 tender locomotives that were more powerful any previous Great North locomotive. With boilers with a working pressure of 165 pounds per square inch (1,140 kPa), they were the first GNoSR locomotives not to have Clark’s patent smoke prevention apparatus. Classified as Class S and known for rapid acceleration and sustained high speed, these were the blueprint for the future GNoSR tender locomotives. Manson had left a design for a 0-4-4 tank locomotive and Johnson changed the firebox, boiler and value gear so they were the same as the Class S tender locomotives before ordering nine to work the Deeside line. Classified as Class R, these arrived in 1893, and most were transferred to the Aberdeen suburban services in 1900. Six were scrapped in 1937, the year the suburban services were withdrawn. [Engraved by C. Trent for The Railway Engineer].