Established by Paul Decauville in 1897 and the factory started producing automobiles in 1898. The first car was a tiller-steered three-seater voiturette (cyclecar). It had a peculiar structure featuring independent suspension by transverse spring and two single-cylinder air-cooled engines produced by De Dion-Bouton sharing a common crankcase. The 498 cc (30.4 cu in) engine, allegedly producing 3 hp (2.2 kW; 3.0 PS), was mounted under the seat and drove the back axle through an unlubricated 2-speed transmission. It had an advanced sliding-pillar front suspension, but no suspension at all in the rear. Decauville entered motor races, winning their class in several competitions between 1898 and 1900. This car sold well, supplying 107 cars by 1898 and 350 by 1904. The original model was joined in 1900 by a 5 hp (3.7 kW; 5.1 PS) water-cooled model and shortly an 8 hp (6.0 kW; 8.1 PS) twin with “horseshoe-shaped dashboard radiator and a bullet-nosed bonnet”. In 1901, a 3-liter four (two 8 hp (6.0 kW; 8.1 PS) twins mounted in tandem) was offered. In 1902, the Voiturelles were dropped and a 10 hp (7.5 kW; 10 PS) 2,090 cc (128 cu in) side valve twin debuted, featuring engine, gearbox, and clutch cast as a unit. One of these, purchased by Henry Royce, inspired his design for the first Rolls-Royce.