de Dietrich specialised in railway lines and axles. The company acquired manufacturing rights to a design for a car by Amédée Bollée in 1896. It had a belt-driven sliding gear box, a clutch operated by loosening the belts; the transverse countershaft incorporated the differential and propeller shafts took the drive to each rear wheel with spiral bevel gears at either end of the shafts. The entire car was soon produced at Lunéville, France. The next four-cylinder, independent-front-suspension Bollée Torpilleur racing cars were so successful in the 1898 Paris-Amsterdam trials that following the event, orders totalling more than a million gold francs were received. But soon Bollée decided to withdraw. Production of a little voiturette under licence from Vivinus of Belgium followed. Seeking a car to replace the voiturette de Dietrich saw a 4-cylinder, 4-speed car designed by the 19-year-old Ettore Bugatti. The vehicle won an award from the Automobile Club of France in 1899, and a gold medal at the Milan Exhibition of 1901. By 1902, Bugatti had joined de Dietrich and designed a 24 hp, four-speed, four-cylinder model with overhead-valves operated by pull-rods. a second model followed in 1903, a 30/35 hp De Dietrich; both the 24/28 and the 30/35 were marketed in Britain by the Burlington Carriage Co and this is a drawing from such a car.