Once the largest commercial vehicle company in the British Empire, Albion was established in December 1899 in Finnieston Street, Glasgow by Arrol-Johnston émigrés T Blackwood Murray and Norman Fulton. Perhaps not surprisingly, the first Albion owed much to the Arrol-Johnston, being a similar tiller-steered dogcart powered by a horizontally-opposed twin-cylinder engine controlled by Murray’s patented automatic governor. Mounted beneath the seat, the engine had bore/stroke dimensions of 4″x5″ for a cubic capacity of 125.7ci (2,060cc) and was rated at 8hp by its maker. Drive was by a single chain and there were solid tyres, while centralised lubrication, operated by the driver while the vehicle was in motion, was a particularly advanced feature. Within a year or so, Albion had put a van body on one of its dogcarts, thereby taking the first step towards its ultimate success as a commercial vehicle manufacturer. By July 1903, Albion had completed 160 of its 8hp and 10hp models, despite a modest workforce of only seven employees. The company relocated to Scotstoun in western Glasgow where it would remain until commercial vehicle production ceased in 1972. This model is in the possession of the National Museum of Scotland, Edinburgh.