The 3rd Horse, raised in 1685, became the 2nd or Queen’s Regiment of Dragoon Guards in 1746 and the Queen’s Bays in 1762 (after their mounts). In 1937 it was mechanised with light tanks and became part of the Royal Armoured Corps in 1939. The regiment amalgamated with the 1st King’s Dragoon Guards in 1959 as 1st The Queen’s Dragoon Guards. This 1705 trooper wears the cavalry uniform of Marlborough’s wars: scarlet coat, white tape buttonholes and cuffs of buff, the facing colour. The carbine was attached to a swivel on the shoulder belt.