The Royal Scots Fusiliers lasted from 1678 until 1959 when it amalgamated with the Highland Light Infantry (City of Glasgow Regiment) to form the Royal Highland Fusiliers (Princess Margaret’s own Glasgow and Ayrshire Regiment) which later itself became 2nd Battalion the Royal Regiment of Scotland ‘2 SCOTS’ in 2006. The regiment was raised in Scotland in 1678 by Stuart loyalist Charles Erskine, de jure 5th Earl of Mar for service against the rebel covenanting forces during the Second Whig Revolt (1678–1679). It first saw action in the Battle of Bothwell Bridge in 1679. Here a Sergeant Major of the Royal Scots Fusiliers is in undress. His full-dress red coat would have Inverness flaps instead of the cut-away front of this one, which was worn on training and in barracks. The officers’ version of this coat had patch pockets on the breast and no gold lace on the collar – in fact in this order of dress the sergeant major was rather more resplendent than the officers. The diced border, originally a stylised version of a ribbon threaded through the band of the Highland bonnet, has been transplanted to the forage cap, and has become a piece of Scottish insignia. N.C.O.s and warrant officers wore a sash over the right shoulder. The sergeant major is wearing a sash of officers’ pattern. This was not strictly according to regulations but was customary. He is wearing a sword like that worn by the Highland Light Infantry. In the Royal Scots Fusiliers the crossbar hilt is worn in undress, and the basket hilt in other orders of dress. The trews are of the ordinary Government tartan, replaced in 1948 by the Erskine tartan.
Sergeant Major, The Royal Scots Fusiliers, 1900
in 1959 The Royal Scots Fusiliers amalgamated with the Highland Light Infantry to form the Royal Highland Fusiliers which merged into 2nd Battalion the Royal Regiment of Scotland ‘2 SCOTS’ in 2006.
Availability: In stock