The City of London Yeomanry was raised in 1900 as the 20th Battalion, Imperial Yeomanry. Designated for the Second Boer War, the battalion’s adopted nickname – the “Rough Riders” was borrowed from the 1st United States Volunteer Cavalry that fought in the Spanish American War. A second battalion, the 22nd, was then raised in 1901. The 20th was disbanded and the new regiment formed from Boer War veterans and named the 1st County of London (Rough Riders) Imperial Yeomanry then renamed The City of London (Rough Riders) Imperial Yeomanry in April 1902 with HQ at the Guildhall. In 1908 it was again retitled as the 1st City of London Yeomanry (Rough Riders). It amalgamated with the Inns of Court Regiment to form the Inns of Court & City Yeomanry in 1961. The lineage is maintained by 68 (Inns of Court & City Yeomanry) Signal Squadron, part of 71 (Yeomanry) Signal Regiment. Here is an N.C.O. in walking-out dress adopted after the Boer war. Khaki was mandated for all uniforms but the Rough Riders ignored this.
Source: Regimental photographs.