Officer, 76th Foot, 1837 (Duke of Wellington’s Regiment)
The Duke of Wellington’s Regiment was amalgamated with other regiments with a Yorkshire connection to form the Yorkshire Regiment in 2007
The 76th were raised in 1787 by the East India Company, and consequently saw their early service there. At Delhi in 1803 the regiment charged with the bayonet immediately after a march of seventy-five miles, and shortly afterwards engaged in battle immediately after a march of sixty-five miles covered in two days. All this was performed in the sort of uniform shown here, the only concession being to allow red shell jackets to be worn sometimes instead of full dress. In 1881 the 33rd and the 76th were amalgamated to form the Duke of Wellington’s Regiment, the Duke having at one time served as an ensign in the 76th and having commanded the 33rd in 1806. Now part of the Yorkshire Regiment. An ensign of the regiment in the summer dress worn at home. The shako has lost the gold lace which made it so expensive and has a chin chain rather than the heavy scales worn hitherto. The white-over-red ball tuft indicated battalion companies, a green tuft light companies and a white tuft grenadier companies. There is a red light between the panels of gold lace on the collar. The white trousers for summer wear at home were abolished in 1845 because the men washed them and putting them on damp, caused colds and rheumatism. This meant that they were forbidden for use in India, as there was yet no special dress for hot climates.
|Dimensions||24.5 × 37.5 cm|