The North Staffordshire Railway built, or had constructed for it, approximately 350 locomotives. The company established the Stoke railway works at Stoke-upon-Trent in 1864 and, by the beginning of the 20th century, virtually all new engines were produced at Stoke works. The North Staffordshire Railway became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS) in 1923 and its locomotives were taken into LMS stock. The site and almost all the old buildings now make up Hyde Park Industrial Estate. No. 27 was designed by the N.S.R Carriage & Wagon Superintendent, L. Longbottom and built at the Stoke works in 1883. It was renumbered 27A in 1922 and withdrawn from service in July 1925 not long after the LMS takeover.