The Irish Guards “The Micks” were formed on 1 April 1900 by order of Queen Victoria to commemorate the Irishmen who fought in the Second Boer War for the British Empire. The regiment has participated in campaigns in the First World War, the Second World War, the Iraq War and the War in Afghanistan as well as numerous other operations throughout its history. The Irish Guards claim six Victoria Cross recipients, four from the First World War and two from the Second World War. The Irish Guards have buttons arranged in fours as they were the fourth Foot Guards regiment to be founded. They also have a prominent St. Patrick’s blue plume on the right side of their bearskins. This a field officer of the Irish Guards in frock-coat order, the order of dress for officers. Officers of line regiments wore a plain double-breasted blue frock coat, which was discontinued after 1914 except for bandmasters and officers in charge of bands, who continue to wear it. A similar frock coat, with velvet cuffs and gold shoulder cords, has just been revived for the use of general officers. The braided coat shown here was really a cavalry garment, which the foot guards also wore. It was discontinued in the cavalry, however, after 1914, but remained the ordinary dress for officers of the foot guards on duty in barracks in London and Windsor until 1939. It is now worn in barracks only by commanding officers and adjutants of the foot guards and some other officers of the brigade. The undress hat shown here was replaced in 1901 by the modern peaked forage cap.