America’s Cup Yachts 1851-1970
The 1870 America’s Cup was the first America’s Cup race to be hosted in the United States, and the first named “America’s Cup” after the trophy had been renamed from the ‘100 Guineas Cup’ of 1851. It was the first competition after the founding of the “America’s Cup” event with a deed of gift in 1857. The surviving members of the syndicate that owned the yacht America, the first winner of what would become the America’s Cup, donated the trophy through a deed of gift to the New York Yacht Club on July 8, 1857. James Lloyd Ashbury was the son of a railway engineer and inherited a fortune when his father died. He made the first two unsuccessful challenges for the America’s Cup, held since 1851 by the New York Yacht Club. Ashbury’s first challenge was in 1870 with his yacht Cambria. The race for the America’s Cup was held on 8 August, and Cambria faced 14 yachts of the New York Yacht Club. The race was won by Magic, with the Cambria finishing in eighth place. Ashbury stayed on to take part in the club cruise, and entertained the President of the United States, Ulysses S. Grant on his yacht. With a new yacht, Livonia, Ashbury crossed the Atlantic again to challenge for the Cup on behalf of the Royal Harwich Yacht Club. Controversial from the start, Livonia was defeated 4-1. He returned to the United Kingdom without the trophy accusing the New York Club of engaging in “unfair and unsportsmanlike proceedings”. The club responded by returning several trophies he had donated in the previous year.
|Dimensions||23.5 × 33.5 cm|