Originally named Sting, she was built in Bermuda in 1799 as a Bermuda sloop. Vice-Admiral Lord Hugh Seymour, C-in-C Jamaica Station, purchased Sting in December 1800 for £2,500, after leasing her for some time at £10 per day. This was in defiance of orders not to purchase vessels but faced with a fait accompli, the Admiralty ordered her name be changed to Pickle in February 1801. She was active in the W Atlantic in the French Revolutionary War and again in the Napoleonic War closer to home where she attended the Battle of Trafalgar (21 October 1805). Although she was too small to take part in the fighting, she was detached by Collingwood (who assumed command after Nelson’s death) to be the ship to bring news of Nelson’s victory (and of his death) to England. Commanded by Lieutenant Lapenotière she arrived at Falmouth on 4 November 1805 from whence he travelled by carriage and horseback to London to report to the admiralty. She also participated in a notable single-ship action when she captured the French privateer Favorite in 1807 under the command of Lieutenant Daniel Calloway. Pickle was wrecked on 26 July 1808 on the Chipiola Shoal a few miles north of Cadiz, but without loss of life.
10 guns schooner, 1780 built in Bermuda, 1799)