HMS Havock was launched in August 1893 at the Yarrow shipyard, Scotstoun, Glasgow. She was one of the first ‘torpedo boat’ destroyers ordered by the Royal Navy, and the first to be delivered. Subsequently known simply as ‘destroyers’, Havoc was ordered with locomotive boilers so she could be completed ahead of the other five ’26-knotters’. She was subsequently refitted with conventional boilers in 1899/1900 which changed her profile from 2 funnels to 3 funnels. She was armed with a single 12-pounder and could make 27 Knots (50 Kph). The torpedo had been invented in Britain in 1866 by Robert Whitehead. It had previously meant a type of marine mine. The Austrian government had commissioned Whitehead to develop the weapon. The Royal Navy became mildly interested in 1870 but in 1891 two torpedo boats attacked and sank an ironclad during the Chilean Civil War (all three vessels had been built in England). This event alerted the Royal Navy to the need to counter the threat from torpedo boats – many of these in foreign navies had been by built in British yards. Hence the requirement for Havoc and the class. She never left home waters. She took part in the Coronation Review for King Edward VII on 16 August 1902 and was sold in 1912.