A steam locomotive designed by Sir Daniel Gooch for the Great Western Railway, one of the Iron Duke class of locomotives exhibited at the Great Exhibition in London. The prototype locomotive, Great Western, was built as a 2-2-2 locomotive in April 1846, but was soon converted to a 4-2-2 arrangement, with the leading wheels set rigidly within the sandwich framing, rather than in a separate bogie. Iron Duke class locomotives were fast with a top speed of about 80 mph (130 km/h). In 1852 Whilst hauling the director’s inspection train from Paddington to Birmingham, it was involved in a collision at Aynho railway station. Lord of the Isles (the last to be withdrawn in 1884) was initially preserved by the GWR at Swindon Works but was scrapped in January 1906 owing to the pressure of space. Many of the nameplates can be seen at the National Railway Museum and at Swindon Steam Railway Museum, while the driving wheels from Lord of the Isles can also be seen at the Museum of the Great Western Railway in Swindon, England. [Engraved for The Railway Engineer by C. Trent].