Field Officer, Lothians and Berwick Horse, 1892
East Lothian Yeomanry Cavalry (1799) was reduced to cadre in 1956 and disbanded in 1965
The regiment was raised in 1799 as the East Lothian Yeomanry Cavalry and had a continuous and separate existence until 1956 as a horsed and mechanised cavalry regiment, when it was amalgamated with the Lanarkshire Yeomanry and the Queen’s Own Royal Glasgow to form the Queen’s Own Lowland Yeomanry. Reduced to a cadre in 1956 it was disbanded in 1965. This uniform although dated 1892, is of a type worn by dragoon guards and dragoons before the Crimean war. After that war the regular cavalry abandoned the coatee and epaulettes in favour of a tunic with shoulder cords. However, as these changes were dictated by the requirements of active service the yeomanry, raised for home service only, did not usually follow the fashion, and uniforms such as this survived. The shoulder scales shown here are like those worn in undress by the regular cavalry before the Crimean war. The helmet, too, is of a pattern which the regular army had given up in favour of a less ornate model by this time, except in the Household Cavalry, who continue to wear one rather like it.
Source: Regimental photographs.
|Dimensions||24 × 37 cm|