Captain, 16th Light Dragoons, 1768 (16th/5th Lancers)
The 16th Regiment of (Light) Dragoons became 16th the Queen’s Lancers then 16/5th Lancers and finally The Queen’s Royal Lancers in 1993.
The regiment was raised in 1759 by Colonel John Burgoyne as the 16th Regiment of (Light) Dragoons, being the second of the new regiments of light dragoons, also known as Burgoyne’s Light Horse. In 1816 the regiment became Lancers and adopted Lancer dress as the 16th the Queen’s Lancers, retaining its scarlet tunics – the only Light Cavalry regiment to do so. In consequence of which they have often been known as the ‘Scarlet Lancers’. They are reputed to be the first British cavalry regiment to have used the lance in action. In 1922 they were merged with the 5th Royal Irish Lancers to form the 16/5th Lancers and then amalgamated with the 17th/21st Lancers to form the Queen’s Royal Lancers in 1993. The Captain in the picture is wearing the undress uniform of 1768. Compared with a Trooper of 1759 his coat has been cut down and has become an elegant yet workman-like garment, its severe and handsome lines reflecting the fashion of the day. The facings of the regiment were originally black, but were changed to blue in 1766, when the regiment became known as the Queen’s Light Dragoons. In full dress, or on parade, the Captain would be wearing a helmet somewhat like that worn by the trooper of the 17th Light Dragoons and a black stock instead of a white lace cravat.
|Dimensions||24 × 37.5 cm|