Cornet, The Wiltshire Yeomanry (1820)
Wiltshire Yeomanry Cavalry (1794) became The Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry (Prince of Wales’ Own) (1863); disbanded 1964. 2 squadrons survive in Royal Wessex Yeomanry.
Out of stock
The Devizes troop of Wiltshire Yeomanry Cavalry was the first to be raised in the county in 1794, at a public meeting addressed to ‘hunters, coursers, and other bold riders’ at the Bear Inn, Devizes. In 1795 five troops were called out to combat a threatened bread riot in Devizes, but no disturbance took place. In 1798 the various troops were amalgamated into a regiment, and they were called out on a number of occasions to keep the peace, in places as far apart as Bradford and Bristol. They received the prefix ‘Royal’ in 1830 in recognition of their services during the Machine Riots, and the title ‘Prince of Wales’ Own‘ in 1863 when they acted as escort to the heir to the throne on a visit to the Marquess of Aylesbury at Savernake. Its title since 1863 was The Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry (Prince of Wales’ Own). The regiment had a continuous existence until 1964 as either horsed or mechanised cavalry, but was disbanded as an independent territorial unit in 1967 becoming a pair of squadrons in the Royal Wessex Yeomanry.
Image Source: Uniform of Cornet William Wyndham, Hindon troop, in Salisbury Museum.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.