Founded in 1925 by Noel Macklin (with Oliver Lyle of Tate and Lyle providing finance) assembly took place in Macklin’s stables at his home in Cobham, Surrey. Invicta cars were designed to combine flexibility with sporting performance. All Invictas were powered by the tireless six-cylinder engines made by Henry Meadows and quickly established a reputation for outstanding durability, winning the RAC’s Dewar Trophy in 1926 and 1929 and in monitored long-distance expeditions, including a round-the-world trip by sisters Violette and Evelyn Cordery in a 3-litre car. Launched at the 1930 Motor Show, the S-type’s ‘under-slung’ chassis achieved a much lower centre of gravity by positioning the axles above the frame rails instead of below. Despite the popular ‘100mph Invicta’ tag standard cars had a top speed of 95 mph (more to come in racing trim). The S-type Invicta was a fast but comfortable touring car. It met with moderate success in racing in the hands of private owners in the early 1930s. Price was only a secondary consideration, a factor that contributed to the firm’s failure to survive the Depression in the 1930s. Like Bentley, Invicta struggled against rising costs and falling sales, the final car leaving the factory in October 1933. It is estimated that approximately 1,000 Invictas were made.