Lagonda was founded in 1906 in Staines, Surrey, by Wilbur Gunn, a former opera singer. The early success of Lagonda was founded on light cars – earliest efforts were tricars built in his greenhouse. It was the 11hp four-cylinder model of the pre-Great War years that first brought Lagonda to prominence. Lagonda re-focussed in the 1920s. Arthur Davidson designed a more substantial model – a 4-cylinder, 2 litre engine with twin camshafts mounted high in the cylinder block operating inclined valves in hemispherical combustion chambers. Power output was 60bhp. Lagonda had grown up. The new car was robust, well-engineered and capable of high touring speeds and offered with elegant coachwork. Inspired by the company’s 11th place at Le Mans in 1928, a ‘low chassis’ Speed Model was introduced with enhancements to the frame’s front end. The engine produced greater output thanks to higher compression and twin carburettors This model was truly race-bred. The ultimate development of the Speed Model was the Continental in April 1932, an unsupercharged car with coachbuilt steel panelling. The face-lifted, three doors, four seat T4 tourer featured also a distinctive slanting radiator, more flush fitting hood, sweeping trailing edges to the bonnet sides, 18-inch diameter wheels and more purposeful ribbed-drum brakes. The Continental was slightly heavier than its predecessor but, with overall lower gearing, performance was perhaps slightly better and the Continental boasted a top speed of around 80mph.