We believe this to be a Type 3 Peugeot from 1892 (not 1894) with a 565-cc engine (not 1,206 cc described on the print). The Museo dell Automobile di Torino has the car from which this drawing was made. Type 3, chassis n. 25, with Daimler engine n. 124, it was a milestone because it was apparently the first car to be driven in Italy. On 30 August 1892, Gaetano Rossi, the head of an Italian textile firm, on a business trip to Paris, ordered the car. The car arrived in Piovene Rocchette on January 2, 1893 and was used by Rossi for several years. In 2007 it was lent to Peugeot Automobili Italia for a careful restoration and for a further study of its past through the archives and documents kept at Peugeot itself. Type 3 was Peugeot’s first model to be produced in significant numbers. It was their second car with an internal combustion engine. In 1890, Armand Peugeot met with car technology innovators Gottlieb Daimler and Émile Levassor and became convinced that reliable, practical, lightweight vehicles would have to be powered by petrol and have four wheels. The Type 2 was the first such model. The engine was a German design by Daimler but was licensed for production in France by Panhard et Levassor and then sold to Peugeot. It was a 15° V-twin and produced 2 bhp, sufficient for a top speed of approximately 18 kilometres per hour (11 mph).