1879 Bayliss-Thomas ‘Ordinary’ Bicycle
Early Bicycles 1791-1907
This bicycle is representative of the directly driven high, or ‘Penny-Farthing’ bicycle of the period. The simple basic design comprises a main tubular-backbone frame which curves downwards from the large diameter front wheel to the small trailing wheel at the rear. The front forks are hollow and are carried up through the steering head to the handlebars. The front wheel is 55 inches (1.4 m) in diameter and has 68 radial spokes and the rear wheel is 20 inches (50 cm) in diameter with 24 spokes. These spokes can be tightened by screwed nipples. The wheelbase is 36 inches (91 cm). Both wheels run in plain bearings and are fitted with solid rubber tyres. The pedals are rubber and their radius on the crank is variable from 3.5 inches to 6.0 inches (90 mm to 106 mm) to suit the rider. The method of attaching the saddle was patented by J. C. Garood in 1879 and its position can be adjusted so that about 90 per cent of the weight of the rider is supported by the large front wheel. A mounting step is provided just above the rear forks. In its day the ‘Ordinary’ was a popular type of bicycle and the Bayliss-Thomas was much in demand, although in 1879 it weighed 49lb (22.2 Kg). In 1822 Bayliss-Thomas introduced the first tandem tricycle.
|Dimensions||38.1 × 25.3 cm|