The 1st Troop of Bombay Horse Artillery was raised in 1811 and existed for fifty years until its transfer to the Royal Artillery in 1862. The eagle badge on the helmet was awarded to this troop in 1843 to commemorate its gallantry in Afghanistan in 1841 and in Sind in 1843. The troop was commanded by Major Leslie in these two campaigns, and the battery still possesses his uniform and trumpet banners. The words ‘Hyderabad’ and ‘Afghanistan’ are borne on the two pennants on the badge. The troop became N Battery (The Eagle Troop) Royal Horse Artillery, the honour title, of course, referring to this badge. They were the Tactical Group Battery of 3rd Regiment Royal Horse Artillery. They were currently based in Caen Barracks in Hohne, Germany and were equipped with the 105 mm Light Gun. The jacket shown here, with its five rows of buttons (one hundred and five buttons in all), cross belt, and barrel sash, is very similar to that worn by the Royal Horse Artillery from 1846 up to the Crimean War in 1854. The R.H.A., of course, wore a fur busby instead of the helmet. Sources: Helmet, jacket and photographs in the R.A. Museum.
1860 Officer, 1st Troop, Bombay Horse Artillery
1860 Officer, 1st Troop, Bombay Horse Artillery: drawn from helmet, jacket and photographs in the Royal Artillery Museum, Larkhill, Wiltshire
Availability: In stock