This Corps was instituted June 1797, under the following regulations. They provide their own clothing, do not accept pay for their services, and assist the civil power in any part of the metropolis, in case of riot, invasion, or other emergency, either in conjunction with other Corps or separately, as occasion may demand. Her Royal Highness the Duchess of York presented this Corps with their Colours, on the 5th of July 1798, in a field belonging to Mr. Calvert, at Somer’s Town. The St. James’s Volunteers at present consist of one Grenadier, one Light Infantry, and four Battalion Companies, each of sixty men, Corporals included; they have also a Committee chosen every six months, by ballot, of which William Blew, Esq. is the present Chairman.
OFFICERS’ NAMES: Colonel, Lord Amherst. Lieutenant Colonel, — Monk. Major, vacant. Adjutant, Richard Chase. Serjeant Major, William Downs; Chaplain, Rev. Thomas Bracken; Surgeon, — Morris; Agent, Rose and Ogilvie. Grenadiers, Captain Bell, Lieut. Cater, Ensign Cleve. 1st Battalion Company, Captain Higham, Lieut. Jackson, Ensign Rogers. 2nd Ditto, Captain G. Ellis, M. P. Lieut. Tate, Ensign Blades. 3rd Ditto, Captain Farquhar, Lieut. Miller, Ensign Charlton. 4th Ditto, Captain Stewart, Lieut. Hipps, Ensign Wright. Light Infantry, Capt. Charles Ellis, M.P. Lieut. Reynell, Ensign Ideson.
DRESS: The Wing Companies the same with the Battalion, with the following exceptions: Grenadiers, Red Feathers. Light Infantry, Green Feathers, and Bugles on their Wings. Battalion, White Feathers. Oval Breast Plate, with S. J. W. in cypher, and LOYAL VOLUNTEERS round it. Buttons, round, otherwise the same as Breast Plate. Cartouch Box, a small Star. Half Boots.