Officer, The Hampshire Carabiniers, 1890 > [106 (Yeomanry) Regiment Royal Artillery, 1999]

£4.00

Uniforms of the Yeomanry Regiments 1783-1911

Availability: In stock

During the French Revolutionary Wars the Prime Minister, William Pitt the Younger proposed that English Counties form Volunteer Yeoman Cavalry to be called on by the King to defend the country or by the Lord Lieutenant to subdue civil unrest. Between 1794 and 1803 cavalry units including the North Hampshire Yeomanry Cavalry, the New Forest Volunteer Cavalry, the Fawley Light Dragoons and the Southampton Cavalry were raised. These units were brought together under the title of North Hampshire Regiment of Yeomanry Cavalry in 1834, renamed Hampshire Regiment of Yeomanry Cavalry by 1848. The Regiment adopted the title ‘Carabiniers’ in 1887. The 1st Line volunteers were mobilised in 1914. In 1921 it merged to form the 95th (Hampshire Yeomanry) Brigade, RFA becoming the 72nd (Hampshire) Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment, Royal Artillery in WW II. Post WW II saw it become 295th (Hampshire Carabiniers) Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment, RA (TA) before finally becoming part of 106 (Yeomanry) Regiment Royal Artillery. This uniform is a strange mixture. The coatee, with its hussar fragging, is like that of other hussar regiments, but the helmet is of a light dragoon. Designed by the commanding officer in 1884, when converting to carabiniers. Shortly after 1890 the coatee was replaced by a more orthodox blue dragoon tunic, and the coatees, until they wore out, were used as stable jackets.

Dimensions 24 × 37.5 cm