P.S. William Fawcett, 1829
Owner: Dublin and London Steam Packet Co, Eden Quay, Dublin, Ireland
Builder: Caleb & James Smith, Queen’s Dock, Liverpool, UK
Maiden Voyage: 1828:
206 GRT; Leingth: 146 ft (44 m) Beam: 22 ft (7 m);
Published 1968 © Hugh Evelyn; artist Peter W.M. Griffin.
c. 47 x 34 cm. (19″ x 13″) on high white medium cardstock 142 g/sm².
Shown here is a scan of the print.
This is a LARGE print; see mail costs at Shipping & Returns.
Ship detail below
Free shipping on orders over £60!
- Satisfaction Guaranteed
- No Hassle Refunds (see Shipping and returns)
- Secure Payments
Launched in 1829 she was built for J.R. Pim of Dublin and William Fawcett of Liverpool. Designed for service between London, Cork and Dublin, she was 40 m (130 ft) long and displaced 185 tons. In 1832 she was purchased by Richard Bourne and others of Dublin and operated by their Dublin and London Steam Packet Company. In 1835 they joined forces with Willcox & Anderson, London ship brokers, to begin a regular service from London to Spain and Portugal later called ‘˜Peninsular Steam Navigation Company’. In March she made the first of five sailings that year on the Peninsular route turning around at Lisbon but in September going to Gibraltar. Although never owned by P&O, William Fawcett was considered the first P&O ship, although Bourne’s Royal Tar was chartered for 2 voyages in 1834 so arguably should take precedence. She later resumed service on the Dublin/London route but returned to P&O service for voyages to Spain in 1837 and 1838 when she was extensively refitted and re-registered in London. She made two voyages between Lisbon and Madeira. In 1840 she brought a party of passengers from Le Havre to join a P&O ship at Falmouth. Her certificate was cancelled after the vessel was broken up in 1846.
|Dimensions||47.5 × 34.5 cm|