Great Western Railway 1903
Locomotives 1 1870-1903
Free shipping on orders over £60!
- Satisfaction Guaranteed
- No Hassle Refunds (see Shipping and returns)
- Secure Payments
The 4-4-0 GWR 3700 Class steam locomotive No. 3440 City of Truro was built in 1903 for the Great Western Railway (GWR) at Swindon Works to a design by George Jackson Churchward. [G.J. Churchward succeeded William Dean in 1902 as chief locomotive engineer at Swindon Works. Engine 3440 incorporated a tapered boiler, designed by Churchward. This inclines some to believe he designed the locomotive. Dean had introduced many innovations (including the 8ft 6 ½ in driving wheels). But his health deteriorated so even if the drawings were in place before his retirement, Churchward must have played a large part in 3440’s genesis]. It was partially rebuilt in 1911 and 1915 and renumbered 3717 in 1912. Some consider the locomotive was the first to attain the speed of 100 miles per hour (160.9 km/h) during a run from Plymouth to London Paddington in 1904 (per C. Rous-Marten May 1904). The locomotive was the eighth of a batch of ten locomotives forming part of the GWR 3700 (or ‘City’) Class. All ten were named after cities on the GWR system. The locomotives were fitted with superheaters in 1910 – 12. This changed its appearance noticeably, as it gained a longer smokebox. Most were later given piston valves instead of their original slide valves. It is now part of the National Railway Museum collection (alternating between Shildon and York in England).
|Dimensions||43 × 25.5 cm|